Thursday 11 July 2013

The Bronze Age

There is something special about the sun. Not just the fact that it cheers me up after weeks and weeks of drab, horrible weather, but it also energizes and melts away those sharp edges around my person that have formed over a looooong winter with no end - I think I'm sun dependent to feel harmonious and come into my own. There is of course those pesky free radicals and UV rays to think about, but with some sun screen we can all enjoy the sun responsibly..... I feel like the cautionary voice in the drinks adverts.

Regardless of how much sun you want to expose yourself to, most of us still want and even CRAVE that bronzed, golden, healthy look. And there are plenty of products to help bring out whatever tan you have, or want to pretend that you have - so here are some of my favourites this year.
I'm not a fan of self tanning, probably because I'm rubbish at it and the only thing worse than a pasty green tint of winter is the streaky self tan Zebra look (at least on humans) - but Caudalie's Divine Legs has somehow mysteriously made its way into my summer stash, thanks to Him indoors. I now might actually be a convert to self tanning - this is an excellent product! First of all it doesn't have that distinct horribly fake self tanning smell like many other brands, it doesn't stain every single piece of clothing, it goes on without streaks or patches and it has an amazing glowing finish as if you had massaged oil into your skin as well. I know it sounds too good to be true - but at least for me this product means the end of pale pale paaaaaaaaaale winter skin, yaay! I don't care that it's £26 - when it's finished, I'm getting another one.

Bronzing powder is great for sculpting and contouring, but at this time of year I also use it as a blusher. With the Bourjois Bronzing Powder, £6.99 you get a great colour and it's easy to work with. Not only that - when you open the packaging it looks and smells like a chocolate bar. Aaah, completely guilt free pleasure! Just be careful not to apply too much; bronzed = good, orange = tangoed.

In the summer I don't usually bother with eyeshadow since it's bound to smudge, but the Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24 HR, £4.99 is an exception. The range of colours is amazing and I've already snapped up a fabulous cranberry for autumn because of it's fantastic staying power. It's the easiest thing in the world to apply, using your fingers all over the lid and once it's set - it's there for the rest of the day without any creasing. I don't know how they've managed to squeeze so much goodness into a little pot, but I'm well impressed and can't wait go get some more shades.

To add some definition, the Barry M Eyeliners are soft, easy to blend and full of pigmentation, and for £2.99, they're an absolute bargain.

Finish it all off with a lick of No 7 BB Lips Beauty Balm, £8.50 for a subtle fresh sheen. I'm going with an irresistible pale glossy pink that works perfectly with a bronzed look.


Swatches of the products (from left to right):
Barry M Eyeliner - 28 Bronze
No 7 BB Lips Beauty Balm - Blink Pink
Barry M Eyeliner - 29 Copper
Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24 HR - 35 On and on bronze
Bourjois Bronzing Powder - 52 Peaux Mates/halées

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!