Saturday 16 November 2013

November empties

If I may say so myself I have been SOOO good this month, finishing up quite a lot of products. It's not that I don't like the stuff that I already have and want to get rid of it, it's just that I like to try new things more and I can't try those things until I've finished others.... oh dear - it's tough being a beauty junkie.

The first items I've been good to finish are a Shower gel, Body Lotion and a Body Mist from Bath & Body Works' Secret Wonderland range. I've mentioned before that I really like the shower gels and body lotions because they feel so luxurious and gentle on your skin, and since they contain vitamin E and shea butter they also make the skin very smooth and moisturised. Secret Wonderland is a juicy sweet and fruity scent of different sun kissed berries - strawberries, raspberries and goji berries rounded with subtle gardenia, jasmine, creamy vanilla and lovely warm musk. It's a very whimsical and romantic fragrance that makes you think of late summer. I've really enjoyed wearing it and I will definitely get it again when I get the chance.

I love to use serums as part of my skin care routine and this month I finished up Estée Lauder's Perfectionist serum. It's a silky and intense anti-wrinkle repair serum with a slightly lilac tint, that you can use both during the day or evening. Because of it's firming qualities and since it firms up the skin almost immediately I've mainly used a tiny bit under my moisturiser during the day. It's made my skin look really relaxed and plump, and since I'm all about plumping and nourishing when it comes to skin care this has been wonderful to use, and I would highly recommend it to anyone with tendencies towards dehydrated skin for an extra boost in the morning or in the evening before going out.
I also finished up another product to nourish and restore the skin after the time I spent in the sun this summer - Origins Starting Over. This moisturiser is packed with mimosa which is great at stimulating the creation of collagen and protein in the skin cells to keep the skin toned and protected. It has a lovely light consistency, that makes the skin feel supple nourished and refreshed, and the amazing scent of fresh and zesty citrus fruits makes this cream a pleasure to use. Even though Starting Over builds up the skin, for me personally it doesn't give the amount of hydration my skin craves during the autumn and winter, so despite being so lovely I won't be repurchasing this until next Spring.

A few months ago I bought the Revlon Lash Potion Mascara after having read some good reviews of it and to start with I was quite happy with it. The formula was dry already from the start, but I thought that the large brush with triple-grooves gave a good coverage, the lashes looked noticeably thicker, longer and separated. I also found that the mascara lasted well and didn't cause any smudging, so all my first impressions weren't bad. However even though the brush gave good coverage I found that it was a little stiff to work with, and as time went on and the consistency got really gloopy and clumpy it got very difficult to get an even coverage. I know that the consistency of mascaras change throughout their lifetime, but this changed too much for me. What started as a promising mascara, unfortunately ended as a bit of a disappointment and I wont be getting this particular one again.

As the days are getting darker and I'm getting more and more into cozy evenings in front of the TV-with hot chocolate mood I have really sped up my "consumption" of candles. I go through them at lightening speed, which is why I have three empty ones this month. I'll start with some from my favourite candle makers Lily-Flame. By now I must have bought and used about 15 different candles from Lily-Flame and they've never disappointed me. They have a super range of scents with everything from floral to citrus, from fresh clean and natural to foodie inspired and they burn really well. I've mentioned before that this year I'm doing something I've never done before - I'm changing the scents that I wear and  surround me with, to fit the season. With Halloween coming up I can't think of anything more appropriate than a candle called Spook which has adorable little bats on the tin. It's a mix of fudge and toffee apples, which sounds really yummy but unfortunately this candle didn't work for me at all. The scent of the fudge and the toffee was far too buttery, and it completely overtook any crisp freshness from the apples which would have balanced it out - ultimately, for me the scent is almost sickly sweet. But to end on a positive note, the second candle from Lily-Flame amongst the empties is the wonderful Mellow Figs & Garden Mint. It's a mix of mellow earthy fig and crisp cool mint that creates a very welcoming piquant and fresh scent - gorgeous, and I look forward to getting it again! 

The last product in this months empties is a Yankee Candle in Black Cherry. It's a great mix of the sweet and sour from cherries that makes a lovely rich and delicious scent - it smells exactly like real cherries taste. When I got this candle it smelt so strongly before it had even been lit, that you could get months and months scent out of it even without burning it. If like me you like cherries, this is a must have candle and you won't find anything else like it.

Well, that's that for this month, and by the end of this week I'll have the first two empties for December's batch - I really AM doing well and my reward is that I can finally start using some of the products that I have been saving for months!

36 comments:

  1. What a shame about the spooks candle. I really like the sound of the mellow figs and garden mint candle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only candle from Lily Flame I've not absolutely loved so it was a disappointment - anyway. I've got lots of Christmas ones to look forward to :o). Xx

      Delete
  2. Love Yankee candles, I have the Red apple wreath at the moment, perfect for Autumn time.
    www.naomitalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely, I do like apple scents :o). Xx

      Delete
  3. Oh, the Estée Lauder Perfectionist serum looks interesting! Great post! :)

    thegirlsnextdooruk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those instant plumpers or even fillers and it's just brilliant e.g. for a night out. Thank you so much! Xx

      Delete
  4. ooh love Yankee Candles! I loved the scent of Black Cherry when I smelled it in store but I went for Snow In Love instead :) xx

    Rachael | overdosedemaquillage.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well they have so much to choose from, it's almost confusing :o). Xx

      Delete
  5. These are my favorite posts to read and you're one of my favorite bloggers so I was so happy to see this post.

    Ella
    Redlipstatement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ella, that's so lovely of you and you brought the biggest smile to my face to day - THANK YOU VERY MUCH, it really means a lot :o). Xx

      Delete
  6. I love beauty products, too, but I'm pretty loyal to my brands because I know they'll work! I hardly ever try anything new because of that. Occasionally I'll try a new body lotion, but then I'll find something that I like less about it than the stuff I was using before and go straight back to my tried and true brand! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, well all I can say is that I'm easily lead astray when it comes to beauty products :o). Thank you so much for visiting and hope to see you back again soon :o). Xx

      Delete
  7. Revlon mascara its great.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to find one that works for me :o). Xx

      Delete
  8. Well done at using up so many candles, that's impressive! The Estée Lauder serum looks interesting! I don't like using the ANR in the mornings so this sounds like a great alternative.

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the Estée Lauder Serums are lovely, but this is one of those immediate effect products - and if you've got something big coming up it's great to use as a boost to look your best :o). Xx

      Delete
  9. Amazing products dear! Love the Yankee Candles!
    I’m an italian fashion blogger and I’m following you on GFC! Would you do the same on my blog? Thank you so much!

    Giada, blogger of Being Over the Moon

    - Facebook Page
    - Twitter #@boverthemoon
    - Instagram @giadadimarco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Giada, thank you for visting. Following you now, hope you'll visit again soon! Xx

      Delete
  10. Love candles so much, especially around christmas time! I set myself a limit because otherwise I'd get carried away and my bank balance would hate me!
    Have a great weekend :) Saida xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, it's easily done :O). Hope you've had a great weekend! Xx

      Delete
  11. I m drawn towards scented candles these days. Unfortunately they re available easily here but these fragrances sound amusing. Too bad about Spook

    Primed with Prettiness

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look like a really good products. I really like the purple nail polish. :)
    fashionhappenss.blogspot.sk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you have some really amazing brands here! The candles sound gorgeous looking for a nice one for xmas x

    www.krystelcouture.com
    GLAMGLOW + Macadamia Oil Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million. I've stocked up with 4 different ones that I'm looking forward to using, almost all of them with ginger, and orange and apple - yum! Xx

      Delete
  14. Ah that Spooky candle looks so cute!! :D <3 I love those Lily Flame candles xx
    Gemma // missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great value for money :O). Xx

      Delete
  15. I need to get my candles on the go, I need to justify new candle buys which I plan to make happen very soon as I'm out of Christmas ones. The Lily-Flame Mellow Figs & Garden Mint sounds gorgeous but I'm glad I didn't bother to get the Spook one, buttery does not sound good. I absolutely love Splash from Lily-Flame, it's my ultimate spring candle as it's so fresh and always makes me think of going on holiday.


    Sharon xx

    Beauty, Miscellany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, thanks so much for mentioning it - I haven't even looked at that one yet, so will try it in the spring :o). Xx

      Delete
  16. I really wanted to try that mascara but maybe I won't bother if it was disappointing!
    I love cherries so that candle sounds perfect.

    Hannah x
    http://b-l-a-b.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to put you off trying the Revlon mascara, but it just didn't work for me unfortunately :(. Xx

      Delete
  17. The secret wonderland range soynds amazing! Just those scents suit me down to the ground!
    Black cherry is my favourite. I just bought another jar on Thurs evening and sone of the scented tea lights in black cherry. Delish!

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, they are amazing - next year I think I'll get a small jar in every room :o). Xx

      Delete
  18. Thanks a million - following you now and hope you'll visit again soon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. The estee lauder serum sounds really interesting - I will have to check that one out!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful creamy serum and I do have a soft spot for things that give immediate results and that you can use as a boost for special events :o). Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!