Sunday 25 May 2014

MANGAnificent lashes?

I've mentioned this before, but I am in fact the most fickle person in the world when it comes to mascara. Not only am I fickle, I am DEMANDING and I'm not ashamed to say that I want it all. I am lucky enough to have long lashes, but I want to emphasize them by adding volume, perhaps some extra length and that amazing butterfly winged look. On the surface that doesn't seem like a lot to ask for, but in reality I usually I end up disappointed, so could the promises of L'Oréal's Miss Manga Mascara (£8.99) deliver on all these points? Well, let's wait and see shall we... The mascara comes in a cute black and pink glossy packaging, and although it isn't nearly glossy enough to completely sell it to me, it does look promising. There are three different shades available - Black, Violet and Turquoise and although I am a bit of a fan of wearing different coloured mascaras, especially on the tip of the lashes since it creates a really interesting effect, on this occasion I chose to go with safe ol' black. The formula contains enlarging collagen spheres that promises to amplify and really show off your lashes, adding volumes of volume with extreme hold to both your upper and lower lashes that is supposed to last all day. That may very well be, but the formula is very wet and quite thin and after having used it for almost three months, there's still no sign of it drying up the way that most mascaras do.
It comes with a long cone shaped brush and because the wand has a little joint in it, it's very bendy and you can in fact flex the brush in any direction you want, which should make it easy to reach and get good coverage of even the shortest of lashes however for me the brush isn't stiff enough to achieve a flared butterfly effect of the lashes and the consistency of the formula makes an even coverage difficult. Since it's so thin, one coat of mascara won't give you either the volume or length that it promises, but if you keep applying the mascara you will build some length and volume too, although in my opinion it doesn't come anywhere near what you get with L'Oréal's False Lash Flutter Mascara (£10.99) or L'Oréal's False Lash Telescopic Mascara (£10.99). I would definitely recommend that you let each coat dry properly before you apply the next, since the wetness of the formula will make the lashes clog together, which can be fun for that stylistic quirkiness of a manga look for a party, but perhaps not for work. The mascara does wear well throughout the day and although it's not specifically water resistant or smudge proof, I haven't noticed any fall out and it even lasts well at the gym but at the same time it's very easy to remove using just a normal eye makeup remover or a decent micellar water. 

I am definitely a lash girl, so I don't shy away from an exaggerated lash look - on the contrary I consciously seek it, but the Clockwork Orange spider lashes isn't for me and compared to the other amazing mascara options from L'Oréal that I've mentioned, this falls short in all areas because of the thin formula and the brush. My lashes might look MANGAnificent, but I would much prefer them to be just plain magnificent.

24 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty cool!
    visit me soon on www.pearlinfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this mascara and I am always so unsure about it because I do love it but it can get so easily clumpy!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, pitty that it´s without pics. I considered buying it but now I ´m glad I didn´t. I wanted something ,,wow". :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should try it, this seems to divide people into love or hate camps :o) Xx

      Delete
  4. I too find the mascara on the thin side. A lot of layering the coats are required, and it starts to stick together. Could definitely have been better.
    Angie x
    www.chocolateandlipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, it's far too watery for me so the volume isn't what you might expect from the description :o) Xx

      Delete
  5. I actually really liked this mascara and felt the thinner long lashes work with certain looks.

    xoxo One Stiletto At a Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it all depends on the look you're going for :o) Xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the honest review. I think I will skip this one now. It doesn't really sound like something I would enjoy too much xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the other L'Oréal mascaras that I mentioned are much better and well worth spending £10 on :o) Xx

      Delete
  7. Nothing wrong with wanting big long lashes if you've got them flaunt them. Shame that you didn't love this mascara but good that you have a dependable L'oreal Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - L'Oréal for me is one of the best mascara brands :o) Xx

      Delete
  8. I can't wait for this to be released here!
    It sounds amazing!!
    xo Holly xo

    HollyDolly. 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it works better for you than it did for me :o) Xx

      Delete
  9. Nice that sounds really nice, cant wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!! The Miss Manga is everywhere but from other blogs I was afraid it could glue together one's lashes. Now I'm really sure it does! Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On me they definitely stick together, and it's not really a look I'm keen on... :o) Xx

      Delete
  11. I love this review. I have a similar obsession with my lashes but I just keep going back to Diorshow....
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to try it, it seems brilliant! :o) Xx

      Delete
  12. Have you tried Smashbox's Eye Brightening Mascara? I love it! I need to try the other L'Oreal ones you mentioned!

    Tara xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tara - no, not yet but I'm really curious about a lot from the Smashbox range, so will check that out :o). Hope you're having a fab holiday :o)! Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!