Monday 26 May 2014

Manic.Monday: Summertime is Sugartime

Summertime and the living is easy, but deciding on which nail polish to wear isn't when there are so many gorgeous shades to choose from, which is why I'm showing you two today. I've mentioned before that every time I go to visit my parents I pick up a good amount of products that I can only get over there and the brand I buy most of is IsaDora, which is a Swedish brand with a wonderful range of products in the same price range as Maybelline. I am especially fond of the Isadora nail polishes so when I saw the Sugar Nails range I just had to have a few, since I didn't have any of these before.... yeah - right... As you may know from some of my previous posts about nails I have a thing for different textured nail polishes, there's nothing that I won't try but the sugared Pixie dust look has got to be my absolute favorite! The IsaDora Sugar Nails range (£6.20) contains 11 different colors ranging from the lovely bright and sunny to the soft, pastel sherbet look, and the shades I picked up  are of the latter kind; 133 Macaron, a beautiful creamy and light mint shade and 132 Peach Nectar, a delicate, feminine and golden peach shade - both perfect for summer.
The formula is a tiny bit thicker than ordinary nail polishes because of the particles in it, but it's in no way thick or gloopy and it's still very easy to apply and with the average width brush you quickly get an even finish. The idea behind this type of textured polish is that by applying several coats of it, you build up a crystallized, sugared effect that combines a matte finish with a gorgeous shimmer, caused by the gritty surface for a look which I like to call "concrete glam". If you were to only apply one or even two coats of this you would be disappointed in the look since it's not enough to create a thoroughly opaque look that also brings out the shimmer. This polish needs at least three coats and in the photo, you can see a close up here on my Instagram, I've actually applied four coats. I can hear what you're thinking: "It'll take forever to create the right look" - actually no, the formula is very quick drying and it shouldn't take you longer than 5 mins to do both hands, but please note that it probably takes another 15 mins for the look to continue develop after it's dried. You're probably also thinking: "It'll be a nightmare to remove" - well again I would have to say no, since you'll have a fairly thick coat on your nails, although you don't feel that when you wear it, so you can easily peel it all off in one big flake, without having to use acetone and mild (or not...) force.

Textured nails like this tend to last about 4 days on me before I have to retouch it, however since the coat is a bit thicker than with ordinary nail polishes, it can be sensitive to chipping if you're not careful. I should also say that with this type of polish you should not apply a top coat, since it settles in the grittiness of the surface and instead of highlighting the shimmer it makes the finish look gloopy and strangely plasticky. I know that textured nails aren't for everyone, but I love the look - it's unusual but will still work for any occasion, eye catching and I always get lots of questions about what nail polish I'm wearing, so add a sugary twist to your outfit and make this summertime sugartime.

37 comments:

  1. Isadora is such a lovely range - it's in a good few pharmacies in Ireland. Love that green shade - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'll need to try and find those pharmacies next time I'm in Ireland :O) Xx

      Delete
  2. Great post Charlotte :D I absolutely LOVE LOVE these two colours of polish.. Super cute! :) I have never heard of IsaDora before! I will definitely be checking out there products! :D
    Ava xox
    http://xovintagewayoflifexo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's so lovely of you :o) Xx

      Delete
  3. Looks very similar to the Rimmel sweetie crush. x
    Kate | A British Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Kate, absolutely - it's that same textured look that I just can't get enough of :o) Xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's a lovely matte but shimmery look :o) Xx

      Delete
  5. Love these shades I have a thing for beautiful pastels!
    xo Holly xo

    HollyDolly. 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I love the delicacy and softness of them :o) Xx

      Delete
  6. I love textured polishes!! Macaron is a beautiful shade <3

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice colors!

    http://thefashionprincessblog.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mint shade looks gorgeous! And the photo is just beautiful:)
    http://mummysbeautycorner.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely - thank you VERY much :o) Xx

      Delete
  9. Wow I've never heard of this but they look so gooood! Thanks for the heads up I'll look for these in the future.
    Add me via GFC or Youtube and I will always follow back :)

    xoxo, Mango ❤
    Blog | Video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely brand, I just wish it was easier to get it here in the UK :o) Xx

      Delete
  10. So pretty! They both look like they're sugar coated with all that glitter. So gorgeous. I need some glitter to spice up my nails. I've been ignoring them recently..

    May from La Vie en May

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't made my mind up about textured nails I love them on others but they never last long on me beaause of the temptation to pick it off Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o) - I know what you mean, I do the same once they've started to chip :o) Xx

      Delete
  12. I've always liked Isa Dora nail varnish shades, they have the best colours! Normally wouldn't go for sparkly ones but these are really nice especially the peachy one, great review :) Xx

    http://native-feathers.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I always make sure to pick up a few whenever I visit my family :o) Xx

      Delete
  13. Those shades are so pretty and summery!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get a bit of a tan to really show them off :o) Xx

      Delete
  14. I absolutely love these colors!! They look so beautiful together! I'm not really into the textured nails, but these are very pretty. I guess it depends on the shades.
    xoxo Lauren | Will Sing For Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, it's not a look that everyone will like but the colors are so gorgeous :o) Xx

      Delete
  15. Oooh, they really do remind me of granulated sugar! Beautiful. :-)
    www.ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like them - it's without a doubt my favorite look! :o) Xx

      Delete
  16. Such pretty colors! Love them all!

    http://linastyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really tempted to get a few others as well :o) Xx

      Delete
  17. I love experimenting with nail polish colors in the summer - these looks like so much fun! Nail polish that last longer always gets my vote too!

    whatsarahknows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might even do a them in a combination with accent nails :o) Xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment! Your comments are very important to me and I do read and appreciate all of them, even though I simply don't have time to reply to all of them!